Hardwood floors are extremely durable, but like anything of value, you do need to take good care of them to ensure their longevity. That’s why we at Floor Craft Sanding have put together this tongue-in-cheek list of 10 easy steps de ruin your hardwood floors. Since it is January, why not make a resolution to avoid these floor-damaging behaviors in order to protect your beautiful wood floors and ensure they last a lifetime?
Protect Your Floors by Avoiding These
- Dirty footwear – walking around the house in dirty footwear not only makes a mess but also scratches up your floors. If you must wear shoes in the house, have a pair of soft-soled shoes that are designated for indoor use only.
- High-heeled shoes – pointy heels can leave dents in wood floors; don’t take chances, leave them at the door.
- Dirt, grime, and debris – whether you track it in on your shoes, your pets track it in on their feet, or there are other messes from spills, be sure to clean it up before it has the chance to damage your floors.
- Pet urine stains – gross, smelly, and a death sentence for wood floor finishes. Clean up accidents as soon as possible.
- Untrimmed dog nails – “clickety-clack, clickety-clack,” hear that cute sound? It’s the sound of your pet’s nails damaging your floors. Time to make an appointment with the groomer!
- Spilled water and food bowls – even the most refined pet can make a mess when eating or drinking. Having a mat or rug under their bowls and mopping up spills will keep the area clean and your floor protected.
- Unprotected furniture – all furniture should have padding under its base, whether or not it gets moved around a lot.
- Chairs with wheels – wheeled chairs without mats are a recipe for dents in floors.
- Dragging furniture – never drag furniture across wood floors – this is a sure way to damage them.
- Using water to mop or clean – believe it or not, you shouldn’t be using water to mop your floors. Standing water and other liquids should always be cleaned off your floors as quickly as possible. Take a look at our Hardwood Floor Cleaning Guidelines for cleaning and maintenance tips.
Whether you’re looking for hardwood floor refinishing and repairs or it’s time to replace and have new wood floors installed, you can trust the experts at Floor Craft Sanding to do the job right. Contact us anytime at (317) 759-2575 to learn more about our services or to schedule a consultation in Indianapolis, Carmel, Fishers, Zionsville, or the surrounding area.