Installing or refinishing hardwood floors in your home qualifies as a significant investment, and as such, you will want to care for your floors to help keep them looking their best. Truthfully, one of the best things you can do to protect your floors is to keep them clean! Below are some of Floor Craft Sanding‘s top tips for hardwood floor cleaning and protection.
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
One of the pros of installing wood floors is how easy they are to keep clean compared to carpet and other flooring types. Here are a few ways to keep your floors clean and protect them from being scratched by the grit and dust that damage their finish.
- Floor mats or small rugs placed at all entryways will help trap dust and dirt before they reach your wood floors. Make sure these are vacuumed regularly or the grit will just end up getting tracked around anyway.
- At, home take your shoes off and leave them at the door so the outdoor dirt doesn’t get tracked around.
- Regularly sweep your hardwood flooring using a soft-bristle broom or dust mop. Be sure that high traffic areas are done often.
- Wash your floors with an approved product only. We suggest Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner. Never leave standing water on your wood floors though, as this can permanently stain or damage the wood.
- Finally, once a year, we recommend professional hardwood floor cleaning done by floor expert. (Ask us about the Dirt Dragon!)
Hardwood Floor Care & Protection Tips
A few final precautions can help protect and maintain your floors:
- Oil soaps, wax, and acrylic floor protectants should never be used on a polyurethane finish.
- Keep high-heeled shoes off your hardwood floors unless they have protective tips.
- Place area rugs in high-traffic areas such as the living room or in front of the kitchen sink.
- Use felt or floor protector pads under furniture and keep them clean. Replace them as needed.
With proper care, wood floors can last a lifetime. The flooring experts at Floor Craft Sanding are here to help if you need professional cleaning, floor refinishing, or have hardwood floor repairs that need to be addressed in the Indianapolis area. For more information, you can browse through our FAQs or contact us at 317-759-2575.