If it’s time to reclaim your living room by building or remodeling a children’s playroom or games room, you will likely need to choose new flooring. There certainly is no shortage of options, from carpet to linoleum, tile to laminate, but none of these can compare to the classic beauty and durability of wood floors.
Wood Flooring Considerations in the Playroom
Health and safety should always be the first considerations in the playroom. Ensuring that you are starting with a clean, dry space with no chance of mold is extremely important. If you have any concerns about this, talk to your contractor. Additionally, consider the following before deciding on wood floor installation:
- Any material being selected for a playroom needs to be durable and easy to clean.
- Some woods are a bit softer than others and might be preferable under tiny feet. Talk to your flooring supplier if you would like some advice on this topic.
- Materials should not let off gas; low-VOC finishes are the best choice.
- Areas that are used for rough and tumble, or physical play might be covered with foam tiles, an area rug, or a big pile of cushions to protect your little ones.
Wood Floor Maintenance
Maintenance and cleaning take on a special meaning whenever children are involved!
- As parents, it is important to understand and accept that wood floors in the playroom will take more of a beating than in other areas of the house, leading to scratches and dings along the way. The good news is that wood floors can be refinished when they show signs of wear.
- Felt pads can be placed under furniture legs or under items that your children like to drag around to reduce scratching.
- An ounce of prevention can go a long way in the care of wood floors. If your child enjoys crafts or sensory tables, make sure that spills and messes are quickly mopped up to ensure the floor’s longevity. You may also want to consider an annual professional cleaning by Floor Craft Sanding with our Dirt Dragon™ to completely refresh your floors.
To discuss your Indianapolis-area playroom flooring options, contact Floor Craft Sanding, Central Indiana’s premier hardwood flooring company, at (317) 759-2575. With over 50 years of combined wood flooring experience, our team specializes in all aspects of wood flooring, including installation, maintenance and repairs, and dustless refinishing. We look forward to working with you!